Sunday, May 31, 2009

Know the Lord all over again

Two weeks ago during service, Pastor called Jesus as Counselor, Prince of Peace..and as he called God by those names, I began to reflect upon my own relationship with God, and what do I know Him by...? My best friend? My Saviour? I then felt in my heart a determination to know the Lord all over again..
And so began my quest to seek after Him more on a personal Bible study:

1) Jesus fulfilled all righteousness (Matt 3:15)
He asked John the baptist to baptise Him - He did what was right even when it wasn't necessary.
Sometimes we don't do what is needed cos it doesn't feel necessary, so it is important to follow in the footsteps of Jesus to fulfil all righteousness.

2) Jesus knew the word of God (Matt 4:4-11) - vital for defeating the enemy
That's why it is necessary for us to also memorise God's verses...How else to wield the sword of the Spirit?

3) Jesus prayed for God's will to be done when things seemed trying (Luke 22:42-44)
Each time I experience difficulty to do what is right, I recall the picture of Jesus in the garden of Gethsamene praying, saying, Father if You are willing, remove this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Yours be done. And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly. And His sweat was as if it were great drops of blood falling to the ground.
So we can take heed that even when things become very difficult at times, we should follow the example of Jesus and get up and pray.

4) Jesus taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law (Matt 7:29)
Therefore, teach out of conviction, with conviction and don't just preach.

5) Jesus was calm in times of trouble and storm (Matt 8:24)

When the storm came, the disciples were panicking, yet Jesus Himself was totally unaffected by the storm. But He woke up from sleep and rebuked the winds and the waves.
Speak to the problems and not let the problems overwhelm you.

6) Jesus was embracing of everyone (Matt 9:12-13)

He never despised anyone/ sinners, and even sat with them for dinner.
Sometimes, we fnd it hard to accept those who don't share our same level of faith, and we view them with eyes of judgement and despise. And Jesus has this to say, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice"

7) Jesus never stopped 'working' (Mark 3:2-4)
Even on the day of Sabbath, He was healing people and He even challenged the pharises not to be legalistic. This reminds me of what pastor Mike Connell did as he was leaving the hall to rush for the next service.. As he was walking out, he was laying hands and praying for every single person he met along the way. To me, it certainly felt like it was no longer a job. Pastor Mike Connell had taken full ownership and responsibility of his call and was faithful to it. In the same likeness as Pastor Kong who is always serving... be it counseling or preaching etc. Yet, it is of prime importance that we never neglect to commune with God so we will never need to come to a stage of burning out.

8) Jesus was compassionate to the needy (Matt 9:36)

We should be emphathetic to people's situations, for they, in Jesus words, "are like sheep without a shepherd."

9) Jesus empowers (Matt 10:1)
Even though He had all authority, He gave His disciples to perform them (miracles).
And a friend reminds me of this verse from John 14:12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do.." what Jesus is really saying here is that as the risen Lord, who dwells in us by means of the Spirit, He will do greater things through us than He did when He was here in the days of His flesh. Hallelujah!

10) Jesus hated wickedness (Ps 45:7)

In fact, He hated wickedness so much that He bled to wound it to the heart; He died that it might die; He was buried that He might bury it in His tomb; and He rose that He might forever trample it beneath His feet.
Even when I struggle, the Spirit Himself reminds me that I am a co-heir with Christ and that He died so that we are no longer slaves to sin.
And tonight, all the more I am decided that I want to follow Him; to walk on the narrow path.
(there can hardly be any goodness in a man if he be not angry at sin; he who loves truth must hate every false way.)

No comments: