Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The verses jumped right at me

Last night I prayed specifically to God and asked Him:
"Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that you bless us with wisdom, with
greater understanding of Your Word, that God, you will speak to us.
God, is the bible still relevant today? Is the bible valid? Speak to
us, Lord, as You would."
and of course my prayer was slightly longer than this, but the above
was the gist of it.

I then proceeded to read my bible (like I should every night, usually
3 chapters per nite)
I was on the book of John.

John 7:15 caught my eye:
"And the Jews marveled, saying, "How does this Man know letters,
having never studied?"

I carried on, to read this John 7:16-19:
"Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority. He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is true, and no unrighteousness is in Him. Did not Moses give you the law, yet none of you keeps the law? Why do you seek to kill Me?"

I stopped.
I wondered if that was God's answer to my question. So, I prayed to
God and said, "God, are You speaking to me? If this is so, I pray O'
God that You will reinforce the message; the answer.

I proceeded to read the bible and the footnotes said:
"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" John 8:32
"Jesus makes a big deal about truth because only the truth sets you
free. Satan is the father of lies, a master deceiver, and he wants you
to believe anything other than the teachings of Jesus. The truth is
that believing in Jesus saves you from your sin, and saves you for
eternal life. In this verse, Jesus says that the truth will set you
free because Jesus frees you from your bondage to sin. Satan will
whisper lies to you over and over, hoping you will believe his tricks
and get confused. Remember that confusion is not from God. (see 1Cor
14:33)
When you feel confused or overwhelmed, return to scripture and read
the truth of the words of God. From Him, you will find direction and
clear guidance. Meditate on those words. Let His truth come alive in
your mind and in your heart.
The bible makes a big deal about truth because lies will lead you
astray. Stay focused on the truth of God's Word. Know the truth,
follow the truth, tell the truth. It 'shall make you free'! [see for
yourself: Ps 33:4; John 1:17; 17:17; Eph 4:20-21]"

Admittedly, after reading the above, I was still a little skeptical
since my question was about the validity of the bible itself. So, if
it asked me to refer back to doctrine, I was a little skeptical of
what it was saying, although I was already half convinced I had
already gotten the answer.

By the end of my 3rd chapter [John 9] (last chapter for the night's reading),
about the story of how the blind man was healed, this verse spoke to me:
27He answered, "I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do
you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples, too?"

sheesh, I was a little taken aback.
I know not what to say actually :p
I then told God, " God, I know what the first line means, but what about the second line? I mean, yes, I do want to be your disciple; I want to be discipled. God, I pray that You will continue to consecrate me; bless me with Your annointing; set me apart from the world; sanctify me for Your kingdom; for Your glory."

In any case, I am convinced that God is real.
"Seek and you will find."
"If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in
me, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of
living water." (John 7:37-38)

All in a night's reading! What a night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops! i realised the comments that was meant for this post hv been bimbotically posted under "intelligent" :p nevertheless, i'm growing thru your growth.. tks for the sharing.. ;)

DreamAchiever said...

This is/was (depends on how you look at it) an issue for me too - the validity/supreme TRUTH of the bible, but not just using the Bible as evidence, since as we've learnt in school, this is not objective or proper research at all. Anyhow, besides what archeologists uncover (which backs up bible stories), prophecies fulfilled, and just the unexplainable experience of 'experiencing God', here's the url to a program that is specially targetted to an Intellectual audience>> http://www.ktwr.net/cgi-bin/Air.cgi?l=E&d=MK2&o=Y1&prog_cod=TUBE

It is called 'Truth In A Test-Tube', and your Mandarin must be quite powderful to understand it. Heard that it's put together through interviews with scientists and such.