Friday, April 21, 2006

A purpose for everyday

Day in, day out; we wake up, go to work, do the things that we do, sometimes blindly, sometimes not even knowing what we are doing or why we do the things that we do..
So, before I left for work today, I prayed to God, to help me see the purpose in the everyday of our lives; that I may live out each day with a purpose; that the Holy Spirit help me lead a purposeful life.

Then in the cab, I took out Running With Giants and began to read about Rebekah, the woman who generously offered not only the chief servant of Abraham a drink, but also all his camels. Indeed it was no small offer, for that simple gesture, she would have to take at least 2 hours to finish giving all the camels a drink!
The book talks about going the extra mile and in contrast to the world today, people are thinking about doing the least, expecting the most. Few desires to do more than they must. And this reminded me of my appraisal (form), where one is judged on how much he or she meets what is required. And of course, the highest (score) is awarded for frequently fulfilling beyond what is required, and taking the initiatives to do more to improve in the job. Sure sounds like they are looking for the 'Rebekah' amongst us.

As an ending to the chapter, Rebekah made this prayer for us:

Sovereign Lord,

I ask that you would give my friends the eyes to see opportunities in the everyday events of life, the hands to reach out and give more than is required or expected, and the heart to do so with that motives that are pure and not self-seeking.


Amen


"Yes Lord, I pray that You empower me to fulfil the purpose for which You have called me."

No comments: